Requirements for a job in Thailand


This will be a short post about what you need to do before and after going to Thailand if you’re leaving for work. All that I will write here is from my own experience, so it doesn’t have to necessary be the same for you because every company has its own rules. This post applies for Croatian people, if you live somewhere else the best idea is to ask Thai Embassy in your country for all the details directly.

My main communication was with the employees of the company from the Human Resources. To their request I’ve sent them the most important documents, and those are:

  • Diploma Supplement
  • CV
  • Scanned passport

If you don’t already have biometric passport, take 2 payment slips in Zagreb Police station, fill it in with your information and pay the needed amount. If you are getting the passport in a normal procedure it will cost you: 320 hrk + 35 hrk administrative fee (which you can also pay in state notes because the value is below 100 hrk). If you’re getting the passport by emergency procedure it will cost you:  410 hrk + 140 hrk administrative fee.

For a passport, with the evidence of payment, you will need your ID card and photo for the passport 35 mm x 45 mm. You don’t need to take and fill out any request before like it is the rule for ID. If you have the old passport, bring it with you so they can cancel it. Otherwise you will have to write a statement that you lost it, which they will dictate for you on the counter. I got the passport the next day by emergency procedure, it mostly takes 24-48 hours.

After that you are ready to buy your airplane ticket because you will need it for getting the visa. If you are still not sure about your date of travel – it is not a problem, because people in the Thai Embassy will tell you can send it afterward through an e-mail.

So, the next step is Embassy of Thailand in Gunduliceva street where you fill out your request for visa. To get visa, you will need:

  • Passport that is valid at least 6 more months
  • Copy of the first page of passport (with the picture)
  • Copy of an airplane ticket
  • Photo as for the passport
  • Filled out form (request)
  • Money (60 eur; bring it in euro valute)
  • Evidence of employment – job offer/contract

The request for visa you can find on their webpage and print it out so you can fill out the information at your home. Some of the information you will have to find out from the company you will work for. All that is unclear you can ask in the Embassy while giving the documents.

*There is no information on their webpage about the working visa (non-b), but it is the same as for a turist one. Maximum time that can issue visa for is 3 months and after that the company has to ask for the extension for the next three months. If you’re staying longer they sometimes circle it immediately to one year.

So the price for the visa is 60 euros, you pay it right away and you get the visa the same day.

The next most important thing is to go to a Police station and hand over a filled form for temporary departure from the country. Usually you have to do this when you leave for at least one year (this is what they will write), but in either case it is good that they know you’re not in the country. For this you will need a form which stands on the information window where you circle the third from three options: a) registration of residence; b) registration of abode; c) registration of temporary departure from the country. Fill out just the few fields that are regarded for the option c). With this you will need your ID card and any evidence about getting the job. You will get that from the company before – job offer or a contract.

After that you are ready for flight!

With the company you check if they will cover your health insurance, taxes, etc. My experience was that after arriving, I went to register into the hospital and did a basic check-up in 15 minutes. I had to take a picture again for the immigration office and I got a work permit and SSN (Social Security Number). Because Thai people don’t speak English very good, for those kind of things it is best to take someone from the company (human resources) to make sure you’ve done everything right – of course it is in their interest that everything is legal.

This is all I could remember at the moment and if there will be some more documentation-related things, I will update this post.

Bon voyage!



Leave a Reply